Just like a cherry beautifies a cake, the sugar icing beautifies a cookie. Sugar icing makes different cookies tastier and better. You can even use this sugar icing on any cake or pastry of your choice.
It is very easy to make powdered sugar icing for any type of cookie. You will need some basic ingredients in your kitchen to prepare this sugar icing for the cookies. It is easy to prepare powdered sugar icing for cookies. This blog lists the method of preparing powdered sugar icing for cookies.
Ingredients for preparing powdered sugar icing for cookies
- Powdered sugar– 1.75 cups
- Milk– 3 tablespoons
- Vanilla extract– 1 teaspoon
- Almond extract- ½ teaspoon
- Salt– ½ teaspoon
- Any food color of your choice
The full recipe for making powdered sugar icing for cookies
Following an exact measurement of ingredients and the right method will give a perfect powdered sugar icing. Let us have a glimpse at the full method of making powdered sugar icing:
- Take a medium-sized bowl and add powdered sugar and milk.
- Then add vanilla extract, almond extract, and salt.
- Now, take a rubber spatula to mix all the ingredients perfectly. You must keep a thick consistency of the mixture to make crispy cookies. If you make a thin mixture, the cookies will not become crispy and tasty. The thin mixture will also melt the cookies.
- If your icing is very dry, add 1 tablespoon of milk to the mixture and mix it well. On the other hand, add 1 tablespoon of sugar if the mixture is very thin.
- When you get a perfect consistency add food color. You can take a toothpick and dip its tip in the food color. Then swipe the tip of the toothpick through the icing. You can add food color according to your need and taste.
- The next step is to take a piping bag without a tip. You can also take any normal plastic bag without a tip. Fill the center of the piping bag with icing and draw a border on the cookie.
- After adding the icing to the cookie, take a toothpick to spread the icing stylishly and fill the holes. You can also add some sprinkles to the cookies for a beautiful appearance.
- Now, you have to wait for some hours to let the icing dry on the cooling rack. Dried icing will look firmer. Do not harden the icing for too long as it will not give a good taste to the cookies.
Golden tips for making perfect powdered sugar icing for cookies
If you want delicious and perfect sugar icing, follow the below steps:
- You can choose any water-soluble food color for sugar icing.
- Adding 1 tablespoon of light corn syrup will give a nice consistency to the mixture.
- Add sprinkles and colored sugar immediately after icing your cookies.
- Allow the iced cookies to set for the whole night before packing them in boxes.
- You can use a squeeze bottle with a round tip for decorating your cookies.
- You can also use orange juice to make a thick consistency.
How can you use powdered sugar icing?
Sugar icing is perfect for many desserts and baked foods. You can use sugar icing for foods such as Muffins, Bundt cakes, cinnamon rolls, coffee cakes, and different pastries and donuts.
How to make sugar icing with water?
If you are running late and guests are at the door, prepare an easy sugar icing by mixing a few ingredients. This glossy icing is good for decorating cookies and pastries. Read on to get the full recipe of icing with icing sugar and water:
1. Take 1 cup of confectioner’s sugar in a small bowl. Now, add vanilla extract or any extract of other flavors to the sugar. Then add 2 tablespoons of water and stir all the ingredients well. You should prepare smooth icing that is thicker than pancake batter. You can add water to make it thick and sugar to make it thin.
2. The next step is to add some drops of food color to the mixture. You must mix all the ingredients properly to get colored icing.
3. Finally, decorate your favorite cookies by putting a layer of sugar icing.
Best icing flavors you can try
Icing flavors will enhance the taste of any cookies or pastries. You can try the different icing flavors for your desserts such as:
Add ½ teaspoon of coconut extract to the mixture for coconut icing.
If you want a nutty flavor, add ½ teaspoon of almond extract with vanilla extract to the sugar for almond icing.
Just like other icing flavors, you can add ½ teaspoon to the sugar. You can even use fresh orange juice with a pinch of zest in the sugar to get tasty orange icing.
You can add ½ teaspoon of peppermint extract to sugar for peppermint icing.
Add a sour taste to your cookies by adding lemon extract or fresh lemon juice to the sugar. You can also use the grated lemon zest for sugar cookies or bread glazes.
Sugar Icing FAQs
Yes, one can prepare icing 3 days before your party. After preparing sugar icing, you can place in an airtight jar or Ziplock bag. Then store the icing in the fridge. When you have to use the sugar icing, simply remove it from the fridge and bring it to room temperature. Then add water in sugar icing and mix it to make a smooth paste.
In an airtight container, the sugar icing will stay fresh for around 5 days. You can store sugar icing in the refrigerator for about 3 weeks.
To get shiny sugar icing, you must add lit corn syrup. This syrup gives a shiny look to sugar icing.
If you want a creamy version of sugar icing, add whipped cream or homemade cream. Whipped cream mixes well with butter and makes your cookies creamy and delicious.
Powdered sugar icing plays a vital role in enhancing the taste of cookies, pastries, and other desserts. You can try these simple methods to prepare powdered sugar icing at your home. You can also try different icing flavors to make your cakes and cookies more delicious.
Sugar icing completes the look of your cookies, cakes, and pastries. Try these tips today to serve your guests the best cookies!
You might also like: