Tomato sauce has been around for quite a while. It is used in a variety of foods ranging from pasta to pizza! It is also used as a side-in many foods such as French fries or burgers. Thus, it is not just a basis for nice pasta but can also be used to simmer meatballs, vegetables, or fish fillets.
Some of the benefits of tomato sauce are as follows:
- Improve the heart health: Tomatoes are a very good source of lycopene which is an antioxidant that helps reduce the grave threat of heart diseases. Lycopene also reduces bad cholesterol levels and promotes good cholesterol levels.
- Improve digestive health: Tomatoes contain a heap of fiber and a lot of water. Fibre is the carbohydrate that your body will not be able to break down. However, it ensures a smooth digestion process, and if someone is prone to constipation, it is recommended to eat tomato sauce.
- A source of all the essential vitamins: Tomato sauce is a very good source of vitamins C, A and K.
- Improves your gut health: One of the most surprising benefits of tomato sauce is that it improves your gut health.
Why is Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce with vegetables famous?
Tomato sauce can be mixed with onion and butter, making it richer and jammier. Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce consists of onion, carrots, and celery. However, if you prefer a more rustic version of the sauce, you can add some seasonings and make it interesting!
Marcella Hazan’s sauce is incorporated with many food items such as tomato rice, shrimp, and for flavoring soups. Marcella Hazan’s sauce is a denser, darker sauce than the normal tomato sauce, which is less dense. Moreover, it has onion, butter, tomato, olive oil, and sautéed vegetables.
Marcella Hazan Tomato Sauce With Vegetables Recipe
Publisher: Marcella Hazan
Prep time: 10 minutes.
Servings: 1 cup of sauce.
Calories: 153 calories
What are the ingredients for making Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce with vegetables?
- Fresh tomatoes or two cups Italian plum tomatoes, either cut up or whole
- 1/3 extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 chopped onion
- 1/3 chopped carrot
- 1/3 chopped celery
- If you use fresh ripe tomatoes, put them in a saucepan and cook at a very low flame for one hour. Keep stirring the mixture from time to time. Mash the pieces of tomato
- If you use fresh ripe tomatoes, put them in a saucepan and cook at a very low flame for one hour. Keep stirring the mixture from time to time. Mash the pieces of tomato against the sides of the pan with the help of a wooden spoon to break them down. After breaking these bit by bit, transfer them to the bowl with their juice. If you are using canned tomatoes, wipe the saucepan dry with paper towels.
- Empty the olive oil to a large saucepan/pot over medium heat. After adding the olive oil, add the chopped onion. Stir the onion until it becomes golden. After it becomes golden, add celery and carrots to it. Let the mixture blend in with each other well, and keep stirring all the ingredients till the vegetables are coated in oil.
- To make the tomatoes ready for the sauce, you can make use of two methods:
The blanching method
In the blanching method, the tomatoes are scalded in steam or boiling water for some time. After steaming the tomatoes, they are thoroughly cooled in ice water. Blanching is the process that stops enzyme actions that otherwise might result in a loss of flavor and texture.
The food mill method
In this method, the tomatoes are first washed in cold water.
After washing them thoroughly, they are cut in half and put in a covered saucepan. Turn on the heat and let the tomatoes cook for ten minutes on a medium flame. Then, place the tomatoes into the bowl that has a crank handle. Turn it in for processing the food. There is a semi-circular blade that sweeps, compresses, and then scrapes the food.
What’s so special about Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce with vegetables?
This unique recipe has trickled the taste buds of many people. Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce is incredibly delicious and has a touch of butter and red onion. There are very few items that taste better, even if they are kept in a tin.
When tomatoes are heated, the levels of phytochemical lycopene are raised due to the significant impact of the heat. Thus, the antioxidant properties of the tomatoes are also increased.
Not all tinned tomatoes can retain their nutritional value. However, the tomatoes used for this sauce are well preserved and hence you should go for Marcella Hazan’s organic sauce as they use organic tomatoes that are not likely to contain any additives that could jeopardize the nutritional value of tomatoes.
Marcella Hazan’s Tomato sauce recipe with butter and onion
Apart from the quintessential Marcella Hazan’s tomato sauce with vegetables, the other one you should try out is this one. This recipe is Marcella Hazan’s Hallmark, and it is worth the hype! It requires only three ingredients: tomatoes, butter, and onion!
This sauce is a denser, darker sauce than the regular Tomato sauce. It is cooked in olive oil over a base of sautéed vegetables. Most factory-made pasta carries this sauce and is available in shapes such as penne, ridged, or rigatoni.
Some researchers claim that cooked tomato sauce helps a great deal in improving the activity of probiotics in the gut. Tomato sauce coupled with olive oil could benefit heart health!